Thursday, January 26, 2012

3 - Dreaming of summer nights

The previous owners of our home had obviously tried to use indoor fans, outdoors, as evidenced by the dominating rust color (they were supposed to be white).  Since our house had more pressing issues that outdoor ceiling fans, we lived with them for a few years before finally replacing them.  In my search for fans, I learned that, even though the fans were on a covered porch, we needed fans that were UL listed  Wet, because of the humidity and moisture they would be exposed to, just being outside, regardless if a sideways rain sprayed them.  I couldn't believe it, but I had to order fans, just to get a UL listed Wet fan in black.  Of course I didn't have the forethought to order ones with lights, and then had another problem to solve.  I hung little lanterns, and although cute, they were ineffective in actually providing light.
The dead of winter, dreary empty hanging baskets, and cheerful lights!

Sooooo, I thought, that's OK, I'll just string some lights, I love that look.  Easier said than done.  I wanted to get bulb shaped lights, so they would't look too Christmasy, and I didn't want a cord running right up alongside the door, where everyone walked in and out of the house.  And of course, I didn't want to spend what Smith and Hawken and Pottery Barn were asking.  Finally, I found some lights at Target during Christmas.  I bought the strings I needed, and an extra string so I could take the bulbs in case some burned out.  I had learned my lesson, trying to track down some unique, over priced bulbs, and I wasn't going to run into THAT problem again!  I did some creative stringing, used a 'remote', a white outdoor extension cord down the gutter, and wa-la!

Finally, year round light.  They look great in the winter, and are perfect in the spring and the fall.  I'll have to say, there is one problem...the lights attract tons of bugs in the middle of the summer.  Short of a screened porch, I'm not sure much can be done about this.  Tis the country life :-)  Things sure are harder when you do them yourself, and you don't know what you're doing.  But, where there's a will, there's a way!

No comments:

Post a Comment